+ History of the Bosco-Milligan Foundation
For nearly three decades, the Bosco-Milligan Foundation’s unwavering commitment to the preservation of our regional architectural heritage has been based on the belief that vintage buildings and traditional neighborhoods are essential to the vitality and identity of our communities. Established in Portland, Oregon in 1987, the Bosco-Milligan Foundation is one of Oregon’s most active non-profit historic preservation organizations. Our founders knew that when one historic building is lost, a piece of our history is gone forever.
The Architectural Heritage Center began as a vision of two remarkable men, Jerry Bosco and Ben Milligan. The Center is their legacy to historic preservation in Portland and the Northwest. Alarmed by the tragic destruction of historic buildings throughout the region, Bosco and Milligan salvaged countless architectural pieces which would otherwise have been lost to the wrecking ball.
From the 1950s–1980s, they collected a truly awe-inspiring treasure trove of historic artifacts, from stained glass windows, building hardware, doors, light fixtures and shades, tiles, and mantles, to cast-iron pieces and countless other historic building elements. The National Park Service documents that the Bosco-Milligan Foundation’s collections are the largest in the West and among the five largest in the United States.
Photo: Portland Archives, A2001-083, 1955 >