POP-UP EXHIBIT: Unreinforced Masonry and Seismic Resilience
The Overland Warehouse renovation and seismic work by Emerick Architects is featured in AHC’s current pop-up exhibit.
Unreinforced Masonry (URM) buildings present a challenge for earthquake-prone communities. There are over 1,650 URM buildings in Portland and millions around the world. These structures are important historic, architectural, cultural, and economic landmarks, but their vulnerability to earthquakes imperils these buildings and the people in them. The AHC presents this exhibit from a recent URM Seismic Resilience Symposium held in Portland. The series of panels showcase award-winning seismic upgrades to historic structures in Portland and elsewhere.
The Artistic and Eclectic Will Martin: Selected Works, 1957-1985
November 16, 2018 – July 27, 2019
Will Martin, Study for an Underground Restaurant, concept rendering, 1973. Architectural Heritage Center Collection.
This original exhibition about the Portland and Oregon architect Will Martin (1930-1985), best known as the lead designer of Pioneer Courthouse Square, captures the full range of Martin’s creative and unconventional work as an architect, artist, and imaginative thinker. The exhibition demonstrates the vibrant fusion between art and architecture as it played out in Martin’s built and unbuilt work across the eras, from his earliest structural explorations in the late 1950s and 1960s, his modernist commercial and residential work integrated with natural landscapes, and his embracing of postmodernism prior to his untimely death in 1985. Drawing on the AHC’s holdings and loans to display some work publicly for the first time and other work for the first time in more than twenty-five years, the exhibition presents the breadth of Martin’s output, including rough sketches and renderings, architectural models, paintings, and sculpture, to show how Martin’s wide-ranging interests, from botany and the environment to local history and humor, found expression in his projects. The exhibition is a close look at an architect whose work and career can be reassessed thirty years after his last built project.
The exhibition was generously supported by the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, the James F. and Marion L. Miller Foundation and the Rose E. Tucker Charitable Trust.
The Presenting Corporate Sponsor for the exhibition is Soderstrom Architects.
Selling the Rose City: Portland Souvenirs and the Imagery of Place
Meyer Memorial Trust Gallery
March 2 – October 13, 2018
Part historical journey, part nostalgia, and part kitsch, Selling the Rose City presents material objects that for more than a century have promoted and celebrated Portland as a place. From hotel stationery to buttons, pocket mirrors to ashtrays, snow globes to games, this exhibit shows how items of all kinds have been used to “sell” the city and its architecture. Selling the Rose City explores this topic by looking at the earliest examples of Portland souvenirs, the rise of the mailed postcard, how real estate speculation and civic boosterism were bolstered through objects, the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition and the explosion of Portland mementos, and the marketing of Portland’s built spaces to the public today. Whether known as the Rose City, Stumptown, Portlandia, or by another moniker, Portland over time has been Selling the Rose City with a visual buffet of objects and ephemera.
Selling the Rose City presents items from the Bosco-Milligan Foundation collection. Thank you to the following for their generous object loans or donations to the exhibit: Philip Austin, Steve Dotterrer, Steve Franks, Norm Gholston, Robert and Candice Jordan, Denyse McGriff, John Maternoski and Portland Design Events, Marie and Tom Spence, Ryan Widell/Ben Vickers/Steve Mika and PDXoriginals, Bill Wright, and Travel Portland.
Selling the Rose City is presented with support from AHC members. The exhibit is curated by Val Ballestrem, AHC Education Manager, with exhibit construction by Doug Magedanz, AHC Collections Curator.
March 2 – October 13, 2018
M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust Classroom
This display of imagery is predominantly from The West Shore magazine, published in Portland from 1874-1891 by German immigrant Leopold Samuel. In 1878 Samuel began adding lithographic illustrations to the magazine – artwork that was produced by the West Shore’s own in-house artists from drawings and photographs of buildings throughout the Pacific Northwest. The West Shore was not alone in creating this type of imagery: Harper’s Weekly and the Oregonian Newspaper are also represented, as is the work of artist Rockwell Carey.
All of the prints on display were generously donated to the AHC by Bill Hawkins in 2013.