A.B. Hallock and Z.H. Webber ad from the very first issue of the Oregonian, December 4, 1850. Courtesy of University of Oregon Historic Oregon Newspapers program.
Tonight, the Architectural Heritage Center will be hosting a special event at Portland’s oldest known building – The Hallock-McMillan Building on SW Naito at Oak Street. The circa 1857 building is in the midst of renovations under the new ownership of John Russell, who also owns the adjacent historic buildings. Program attendees will get a chance to see inside the building and the neighboring Dielschneider building, as well as have the chance to take a 30 minute walking tour of the immediate area. Refreshments will be served and there are even door-prizes. You can still purchase tickets for the event at the AHC’s website or call them 503-231-7264. Tickets can also be purchased at the door (cash or check only).
So who was Absalom Hallock?
Hallock has often been touted as Portland’s first professional architect. That is to say, he called himself an architect, during a time when there were no licensing requirements for architects in Portland. He has been attributed with designing Portland’s first brick building, constructed in 1853 for Portland pioneer William S. Ladd.