Interior of the Arleta Library. Photo Courtesy of Michael Orr.
The Arleta Library was built, with support from the Carnegie Institute, in 1918. Folger Johnson was the architect. Johnson designed several Carnegie libraries in Oregon, including those in St. Johns, South Portland, Gresham, Hermiston, and Pendleton. His work also included the Albertina Kerr Nursery and the Town Club in Portland’s Goose Hollow neighborhood. Many Folger Johnson designed buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the early 1970s, a new Holgate Branch library opened and since that time, the Arleta Library building has been used primarily as office space for Multnomah County.